Seasonal Affective Disorder Treatment
What is Seasonal Affective Disorder?
What is Seasonal Affective Disorder? Seasonal Affective Disorder or SAD for short, affects up to 10% of the population according to Wikipedia.org. It affects women a lot more than men, about 4 times more women experience the signs and symptoms of seasonal affective disorder than do their male counterparts. SAD feelings usually begin when the season changes from fall into the longer and darker winter months, but it can happen in the dead of summer as well. It is a mild form of depression that can sometimes get more severe if the person being affected does not take some positive steps to alleviate it. Fortunately there is a natural Seasonal Affective Disorder Treatment that can easily move you from SAD to Glad in a few short hours.
How do you know for sure if you have SAD Depression and are just not sad? There are some common signs and symptoms that you can look out for to see if you or someone you know is suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder or Depression. If you or someone you know experiences serious mood changes, usually in a negative or depressive type way, they may just be suffering from SAD.
If you are experiencing 3 or more of these SAD Symptoms when the seasons change into the colder and darker winter months then you just may be affected by Seasonal Affective Disorder.
- Difficulty Getting Out of Bed
- Cravings for Carbohydrates and Sweets
- Lack of Energy
- Lack of Drive
- Difficulty Relating with Others
- Withdrawal from Friends, Family and Social Gatherings
- No Sense of Purpose
- The word Suicide even crossing your mind
It is generally not severe unless the person does not adjust within a week or two. It’s not the end of the world, just the end of a season. There is plenty that you can do to help yourself or someone you know who is being affected by SAD.
Use the following natural SAD Treatment vitamins, herbs and natural therapies to quickly reverse your SAD feelings and feel better quickly:
- Exercise – At least 20 Minutes per day of the moderate exercise, preferably outdoors or at a gym with other people. Exercise, even walking, will naturally boost your feel good hormones
- Color Therapy (choose bright colors, particularly yellows, greens and grounding earth or pastel colors)
- Lithium Oronate (Dr. John Gray “Women Are From Venus, Men Are From Mars” recommends this)
- St. John’s Wort (A very potent natural anti-depressant that is used in Europe over toxic pharmaceuticals)
- Omega 3′s (Allows for brain and emotion neurotransmitters to work properly – you feel better)
- SAM-e (A natural mood elevator as well as liver and joint pain reliever)
- Melatonin (Natural Hormone that balances our circadian rhythm – our sleep / wake cycle and sleep is very important for mood)
- Vitamin D for Sad (You can also get Natural Vitamin D3 by 15-30 minutes of natural sunlight on your skin or using a sad light full spectrum lamp)
- MoodBrite (Natural Homeopathic Medicine made exclusively for Seasonal Affective Disorder Relief)
- The Sedona Method (A fast no-stress way to move past ANY obstacle or feeling)
- Feeling Good (Book by Dr. Burns, that has helped thousands of people break free from depression)
I personally do not recommend any prescription medications except in case of being suicidal. The other remedies should be tried first because they are more successful long-term and don’t have the dangerous side-effects of Paxil, Prozac, Ritalin and other similar type medications.
Seasonal Affective Disorder Lights
There is a brilliant new therapy called Natural Sunlight Therapy. You can use this even if it’s cloudy outside or you can’t go outside. Watch this short video above explaining what SAD is, and how SAD Lamp therapy can help you replace the blues and feel better in about 5 minutes.
Here are the two main types of Seasonal Affective Disorder Lights or natural sunlight therapy that you can use to break out of SAD quickly:
- Natural Sunlight Therapy (20+ minutes of sunlight before 10am or after 2pm – this is the natural SAD lamp!)
- SAD Lamp (These SAD lights Provide full spectrum sunlight and natural mood enhancement as well as natural vitamin D)
Light therapy for SAD is one of the best natural ways to remove the feeling of sad from your life. Get outdoors for at least 20 minutes on days where there is sunlight. Exercise in any way that you can that is comfortable for you. Consider eating more vibrantly colored foods (yellows, oranges and greens) and take some of the recommended supplements above.
Sad Lamp Therapy
Get a SAD Lamp and feel better quickly Change the lighting in your home to full-spectrum lighting. These give the same light frequencies as natural sunlight and quickly elevate your natural mood. It may sound too simple, but it really can help a whole lot. Nutrition on the inside, Sunlight on your skin (or a sad lamp or light) and a little walk in nature or even your favorite local tea or coffee house can help you get out of your funk quickly and start feeling better naturally.
If your depression is lasting for more than a week or two then consider getting psychological or counseling assistance. You can find out more about this on the Depression Treatment page on this site.